English Language Learners
- Iris Center for Disabilities, Teaching English Language Learners: Effective Instructional Practices
This Module helps teachers understand second language acquisition, the importance of academic English, and instructional pr3actices that will enhance learning for English Learners.
- English Learners (ELs) with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs): Questions from the Field
Answers more questions that are commonly asked from the field regarding ELs with IEPs.
- English Learner Tool Kit, Chapter 6: Tools and Resources for Addressing English Learners with Disabilities ( PDF; 897k; 22pp.)
This chapter is intended to help state and local education agencies (SEAs and LEAs) meet their obligations to English Learners (ELs).
- Addressing the ELLs' Language Learning and Special Education Needs: Questions and Considerations
A broad introduction to important issues to consider when determining whether a student's educational needs are being met. Suggestions and guiding questions to a holistic approach.
- Classtoom Q & A - Response: Ways to Support ELLs with Special Needs
Adequately supporting English Language Learners is often a challenge for many schools, and accurately identifying and supporting ELLs with special needs can be an even greater challenge. Educators share some of their best instructional strategies.
- Make Every Student Count: How Collaboration Among Families, Schools, and Communities Ensures Student Success ( PDF; 3.5MB; 112pp.)
Chapter 2 (pg. 34-45) addresses the power and benefits of Family Involvement and ways some districts have engaged families who speak a language other than English.
- Toolkit of Resources for Engaging Parents and Community as Partners in Education, Part 2: Building a Cultural Bridge
Focuses on tapping into the strengths of families and community members and helping families to establish active roles within the school community in support of student learning.
- English Language Learners with Learning Disabilities
Featuring Dr. Elsa Cárdenas-Hagan discussing effective assessment and instruction strategies for English language learners with learning disabilities.
- Webinar: Working Collaboratively with Diverse Families in the IEP Process
Working effectively with diverse families in the IEP process is important. Learn how to involve your students and families from diverse backgrounds in the IEP process.